Thursday, July 9, 2009

Flu and pseudoephedrine

I have flu now. I am not supposed to have flu because I had a flu shot. Yet I have it.
The same thing happened last year, so I marched into the chemist to complain.
He told me that they'd "put the wrong strains in the vaccine". God.
It seems the people in charge of the flu shots are the same lot that do the baggage at the airports.
Now, a bout of flu is normally good enough reason to stay at home and eat fistfuls of Maltesers washed down with Corenza C while vacantly watching Tour de France replays.
Alas though, I had commitments.
So I medicated. I took something called Advil. I haven't taken it before. Advil contains pseudo ephedrine which makes your pupils dilate and causes you to talk very fast and frequently. You feel pretty good actually, probably better than simple flu medicine should make you feel. I would imagine Advil is pretty popular with people who don't have flu at all. People who like trance music perhaps.
I had to give a talk at work and I'm not altogether sure it went that well. It was long and rambling and I talked very fast about not much. I suspect my eyes were darting around like a drug mule in an airport. As a flu medication Advil may be marvelous, but it plays havoc with your career.
Today at work I talked ever so slowly to try and make up for yesterday. Not sure if anyone actually noticed, they were too busy talking about Michael Jackson's memorial service. Lots of people thought it was marvelous and poignant. Some said they would definitely buy the CD. It is a fitting full stop at the end of a very strange life, I think, to have the CD of your memorial service go Double Platinum. I did think that the completely nutty Reverend Al Sharpton was great though, with his machine-gun- double-time-baptist-preacher eulogy thingy. Maybe they have Advil in LA too.

1 comment:

  1. Advil. A name for an agency. Or a town where it's just ad people. Imagine.

    Now Chris, you must keep writing this nice blog thing, but hell's bells boet, the white on black is tough on my eyes. I'm bombing this colour combo, man. Can you maybe look at grey on baby pink, or something softish?

    ReplyDelete